Saturday, December 26, 2009

LIW&B Chapter 15 (continued more)

"Why in god's name would Mel Stotch be callin' me from a hospital?" Rosa crowed. A nurse stood behind her pushing her wheel chair. The nurse smiled politely in spite of the hoary shrew. "I couldn't believe you of all people was in the hospital. I figured ya died years ago and I missed it in the paper." Her scowl was permanent and intended no harm.

"Come in, Rosa," Mel beckoned. "I'm glad you came. And I'm glad you're still alive too."

The nurse pushed Rosa's chair beside the bed. Happy stepped out of the way to make room. Once bedside, the nurse gave Rosa a pager and told her which buttons to press when she needed another nurse to leave. Rosa stared at the tall, bald teenager with the chummy glow. She was staring at him when Mel broke the ice.

"Rosa, meet Happy," Mel introduced. "He's my son."
Happy took a step toward the old woman and extended his hand. Rosa looked at it rather than shake it heartily. She looked up at his face again and back at Mel. Silence was a rarity for the old ax, but there were dots to connect. Rosa remembered the last time her ex husband left her a voicemail. She had expected disaster.

No comments:

Post a Comment