Monday, August 24, 2009

Thoughts on Life is Warm and Buttery

I was walking my dog today, the basset hound in the picture, when a little girl yelled "Hey Tall Bald guy!" She wanted to see the dog.

I always have the idea that as I walk my dog around my neighborhood, tall, bald guy with dark sunglasses and the basset, that people may look at me and be suspicious, fearful, or just concerned. I've always had an image of intimidation more than welcome. At least that's what I've heard and interpreted through some conversations. This little girl wasn't concerned or intimidated. She wanted to see the dog.
I felt something like acceptance. It was a pleasant moment. I saw friendly humanity completely without prejudice. It warmed me like the splash of a Caribbean wave.

I started thinking about Happy and this story. I want Happy to be simple but not a simpleton. I want the Gump vibe without requiring a physical or mental challenge. I just want to calm, patient, kind person. But could Happy be intimidating too? Could he be big, bald and tall?
Maybe. Perhaps that can lend the missing aspect that launches this forward.

Happy will be handed off by his father as is written. Still not 100% on who will be the receiving parent. The parent will be good to Happy and then he'll die. Happy will go to a boy's orphanage. It'll be easier to write about his survival when he's the biggest kid in the orphanage.

After the orphanage he'll get a job somewhere doing something that will use his size and power. Perhaps the world will view Happy as a monster he's not. All the world except the girl that wants to see his dog. Perhaps Happy will have a basset hound too.

I'm liking this.

No comments:

Post a Comment