Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Chapter 2: A Second Chance

Henry sat with hands clasped together forming a balled fist of tension which weighed a dent into the upper thighs of his jeans. His thighs were together, legs straight until the knee. Boss DaVotti stood behind him burning a laser through Henry's neck. The gray lion inhaled his cigar, after a few choice puffs, and released a cloud of ember above the two of them. He stepped up to Henry, less than a foot behind his head, then passed to take his seat. Such behavior from the Boss suggested grave consideration. Henry felt the gravity as DaVotti took his seat before him.

"Henry," DaVotti perked friendly in an insincere way, "We both know you had an accident."
DaVotti lifted his eyebrows for agreement. Henry felt the expectation to voice his the answer.
"Yes, I had an accident." Henry agreed.

DaVotti saw something he didn't like. He shook his head in disappointment. "Henry, Henry, Oh Henry," he spoke with his eyes closed, struggling to swallow the pain. All an act, but Boss DaVotti could act. Some bosses act. Some bosses don't have the need. DaVotti fell in both categories. The Boss's eyes squinted as he delivered. The wrinkles in his temples split his aged leather skin.

"You make a mistake of your multitude and still I get this sense of entitlement. THere's a lack of gratitude in your voice that I think I should hear if I'm gonna let you live. You're just a fucking accountant, Henry. How do you keep forgetting that?" The lion wanted him to continue. He needed a reason to pounce.

"I'm sorry," Henry stuttered, "Mr DaVotti I certainly realize my position and the lack thereof." He wanted to let that statement hang in there, but thought better of it. "I'd never put my life on the line in any way to insult you. I couldn't be more grateful that you let me live. I only wish a chance to apologize to the families of the dead." Henry raised the balled fist in the air, holding his arms up for mercy.

The lion stayed behind his desk. Engines rumbled outside their thin walls. The narrow trailer rapidly filled with cigar smoke. Henry dared not cough or show displeasure. His mouth had gotten him in trouble in the first sentence.

DaVotti rubbed his smooth chin and ran his long fingers through his wispy gray wings. He looked away from Henry then back again. After a minute, he pounded his fist into the table.
"Goddammit Henry! What were you trying to do?"

Henry broke his fist to hold out his open palms defensively.
"Mr. DaVotti I thought I was serving your wishes!" Henry cried. He felt Death's harvest near.

"Serve my wishes," DaVotti raged, "How is frying kids my wishes you sick fuck?"

"They were the children of your enemy," Henry squeaked.
"They were fucking children, period!" The lion roared.

DaVotti got up and came around the table. Henry launched upward to back away. Henry shoved a chair in the Boss's path to stifle his pursuit. DaVotti grabbed the chair and threw at Henry, who blocked with his arms but still took an impact. DaVotti rushed forward and connected a punch. Henry stumbled and fell backward to the floor.

"You're never gonna be a gun, Henry!" DaVotti screamed, "You're always gonna be an accountant. That's who you are. That's what you are!" He grabbed Henry by the collar and pulled him to his feet. He continued the tirade face to face.

"You broke so many rules you couldn't even fucking imagine. You killed a somebody else's property, Henry, a fucking soldier. You're a fucking accountant! I've got orders to kill you."
DaVotti had no weapon. He wouldn't need one with Henry. Henry was larger in size than the lion, but he was an accountant.

"Will your life be better now that he's gone?" Henry posed. DaVotti grimaced in anger then quickly receded. He thought about what this long time employee said. Times were hot now but they would cool. Then things would be better. DaVotti knew it was true. Henry saw this and ventured to cross another line.

"That's why I did it, Boss. That's the only reason I did it." Henry pleaded.
"That doesn't excuse those fried kids!" DaVotti exploded before reeling back. He calmed and continued, "You're fucking crazy Henry. So I'm not gonna kill you. I don't know if it would be right. Besides, you still know the numbers. You're still an asset."

DaVotti turned and walked back to the desk. Henry straightened his shirt and followed back to his fallen chair. He trusted the wave had passed.

"You want to know what happened, Carl?" Henry asked. "It was so fast. I followed him home a few times to know where he lived. Then I just waited, but I didn't need to wait very long."

DaVotti looked at this small man, this man whom he had known so long and listened to the horror he had always suspected.
"The kid had a beautiful house. He must've had something going on upstairs, him being married and settled and all. Most soldiers his age would be slumming in some downtown apartment to stay close to the flop spots."
Henry's gaze drifted but now it returned to his boss. "I didn't know he had a family til a few minutes before I killed 'em all. None of it was planned. I just saw an opportunity and jumped on it."

"You saw kids in the pool. You couldn't have waited?" DaVotti growled in disgust.
"Waited?" Henry guessed, "No I don't think so. I can't wait for a muscle head gunfighter in his late 20s to meet me for an even fight. He was vulnerable and I dove."
The coldness lent a tone DaVotti would normally only tolerate from a superior. No soldier would live after throwing an answer in his face in such a manner. But Henry was going away. The lion licked his paw and played bored.

"I don't agree with you Henry. I think you're a sick son of a bitch." DaVotti looked eager to finish. "But I'm not going to kill you. I got a plane ticket to California. It leaves in two hours. You got time to get there. All your shit in your apartment stays here."

DaVotti reached out and handed a crumpled piece of paper. "That's an address of a new employer. They're expecting you." The lion bared his fangs to show his potential. "You disappear and don't return Henry. This is the only way I don't kill you."

Henry knew it was his only chance to cut his losses. He held out his hand but DaVotti didn't accept. Henry nodded silently then turned to leave. As he stepped to the door he spoke his last words to his friend.
"I'm not a soldier. You're right Carl," Henry bade, "But I did something important that helped you out. Does it matter my experience?"

"You electrocuted kids, Henry!" DaVotti shouted.

Henry turned back to face him, standing before the open door. He looked shamefully at his feet then back at his long time employer.
"It was so easy, so impersonal. I just dropped the television in the pool." He looked to Carl, hoping for a shred of assurance. There was no reciprocation. No feeling of gratitude. He was given a plance ticket and orders to catch it. If he wanted to live he needed to leave.

Henry stepped into the hallway and headed to the elevator. He bristled realizing he would have to pay for his own cab all the way to the airport. In such a pinch, he didn't find it very fair. Henry did his best to shrug it off. After all, it would be his last cab ride in New York.

No comments:

Post a Comment